Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cultural Norms? The Three T's of Chile

I'm very confused by the idea that there are certain things "Chilean" and certain things "American" (well, The United State-n). Now that I write that, I KNOW that there are definitely some traits that are rightfully so attributed to the U.S. But I feel more comfortable writing what those cultural traits are (i.e. individualism, consumerism, etc.) for the U.S. than I do for Chile.

It's easy to get into the "wow-that's so Chilean" phase. But since, based on my various conversations with the other U.S. students here who are having a more "traditional home-stay experience," I don't know what's "normal" for Chile!

All that to say--the follow are some observations I've made since I've been in Santiago.

1. Trash. My host mom considers herself a ecologista (ecologist, environmentalist). She's big on the no plastic bags usage, but I was surprised to see her using paper towels and napkins. I understand people have contradictions (yada-yada-yada)...either way I would have assumed differently given the adamant personality she has about the state of the world. I've heard my fellow SIT-students say, "Where are all the garbage bins around here? There don't seem to be enough."

One day when I was leaving for school, it happened to be trash day and I saw the three massive bins on the edge of the sidewalk. There were three large bins (picture the ones are about my height, on wheels)...for the entire 4 building apartment (over 50 some people)! And this was the first trash day since the earthquake, so I'd assume people would have more trash (broken items, etc.). It was an "ah-ha" moment for me. They just don't produce a lot of waste here...it's not about using or not using paper napkins, or even using cloth bags over plastic...being an environmentalist, for my host mom, and for her apartment neighbors (whether they call themselves an environmentalist or not) means not producing that much waste...what a concept!

2. Touching. Our SIT orientation handbook says, "As the majority of teens and adults live under their parents' roof, even after college, they often have no other alternative than to have time alone with their partner in the streets...these public displays of affection are a product of a society who fosters open displays of affection even among family members and friends." So yep people are making out all the time...subways, buses, park bunches, streets, right behind me (you get the picture...). These aren't simple kisses...it's the whole deal. And it's not just between a women and a man in their 20-somethings...they are between two people of the same gender, older couples, younger couples, love is inclusive here.

And whenever you meet someone, you always kiss them on the check---man to man, man to women, etc. It's a beautiful gesture and I'd like to think this would help break down a machista culture and foster a culture of appreciation and acceptance of a queer culture. The reality is it doesn't really do that as much as it could

3. influence of The U.S. In a book I read about Pinochet's dictatorship and legacy during some of the down time I had the first few days here, had a section that particularly stood out. The author stressed how the U.S. has used Chile as its own little "experiment"---first with the Chicago Boys and US aid during Pinochet era to open the markets which led to huge disparities between the rich and poor (Chile now has the 8th largest income gap in the world), helping to introduce credit cars and instill a culture of consumerism. And I've begun to look at Santiago that way (as the U.S.'s "experiment"). I sometimes have to remind myself that I am actually in South America, that I am not in a part of the U.S. that just speaks Spanish really fast.

There are influences of the U.S. everywhere. Some I expected...certain logos and brands, a few English expressions, the small tiendas that sell souvenirs made in China...some I didn't.

When I talk to people about Pinochet's legacy, often people talk about the increasing emphasis on individualism.

There has been a huge push to standardized testing and accountability in schools which began in 2000 (NCLB was in 2001).

There are versions of Wal-Marts everywhere (they are actually called "Jumbos" with a huge elephant as the mascot for the store--at least here they can recognize that it's all enormous).

In a country with sidewalk farmers markets everywhere (it's not just a once/week thing here!), the grocery stores are full of produce from a huge multinational corporation, Dole.

There are more...they just aren't coming to me right now.

I am not sure what exactly Chile's culture is. Maybe it's because I'm from the U.S. that I can't point out the U.S.'s influence. Or maybe it's because the U.S. really is experimenting with Chile. I'll keep observing. Not hoping to find something specifically "Chilean" but hoping to find something that doesn't have "U.S. domination" written all over it.

Some of it is already here...less trash, more affection. There's got to be more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma!
It's Sam!
I don't really know how this blog thing works so I'm going to post anonymously! I just wanted to let you know I've been following your blog (so i'm not a creeper anymore, right? haha)
It sounds like it's been really great so far! I'm so glad you're ok from the big earthquake! I bet that was scary. Your observations are wonderful and your writing is really captivating. It's awesome that you've really been thinking about your experience and being in your experience and challenging yourself to understand your surroundings. Miss you and love you!
-your sis

Anonymous said...

thx dude this hepled in class for me homie. im making a ppt. on chile. KEEP POSTIN MY TEACH LIKE CHILE AND PERU!
THX