Friday, February 26, 2010

Can you say that again? One more time? I'm sorry...

I'm sitting in my room at my homestay's house in Santiago. There are two large panoramic windows...right now it's cloudy--a murky gray, there's tons of pollution. The pollution is amplified because the city of Santiago is located in a ditch, surrounded by mountains on either side. From my house I can see the tallest building in Santiago (although Pablo, my host family dad, said, "I know it's nothing like NY.") and downtown Santiago. The house is located on the fourth floor (top floor) of the apartment complex. Tons of apartments surround Ñuñoa (one of the many communities within Santiago and the one I am currently in). It's so different from the single-family homes I am used to seeing in Huntington Woods and in South Hadley. Although, I know it's more of the norm in cities across the U.S...it still seems new to see.

It's so easy to feel lost when my host parents, Pablo and Alejandra, are speaking. I listen for phrases, words I know and sometimes, make-up, what I think they're saying. Or I ask them to say "una vez mas" or "repete"or "que"(one more time, repeat, what). They're really good at being animated...especially Pablo who uses large hand gestures and often vivid visual descriptions (for example, faking choking himself aggressively to symbolize choking). Pablo also enjoys snapping his fingers to describe certain things...which often confuses me because he uses the same gesture to describe multiple things. Alejandra and Pablo have been married for a year; this is Pablo's second marriage; he has two kids who he doesn't see/talk to much.

Pablo is a student, studying to teach others about biodanza, (from what I understand...they've explained this concept to me many, many times. biodanza...originated in Chile and has now spread to other Latin American countries, parts of Europe, and Japan. It's a newer idea that involves disciplines like psychology, anthropology, arts...it's a process of healing, group therapy, and dancing. In a group, that doesn't know each other to well, someone guides someone who closes their eyes. The music guides the couple and eventually heals the person who isn't doing well (emotionally or physically). Break up the words Bio and danza...it means Bio and dance...something like that. Alejandra is a religious teacher at a semi-private (like a charter school) school. Neither of them are religious, but Alejandra teaches religion because she believes that religion is a human right.

They don't have Wi-fi in their house...but it's easier to borrow some wi-fi from a neighbor who doesn't have a password.

Last night, I was feeling the "hope this all goes by fast." The Spanish was overwhelming me and I was constantly frustrated because I couldn't say what I wanted to say. I have to simplify my thoughts...so that they come out in a way that makes sense to Pablo and Alejandra. I was extremely exhausted from listening so hard to them speak. And then, after I got up and had sometime to read e-mails, go on facebook...basically indulge into things that connected me to people and places I knew well, I let go of my frustration (a bit). Alejandra went off to work and Pablo and I took a long walk around the neighborhood. It was nice to be outside--the sun shining brightly, warming my body...and I slowed everything down. I decided to laugh more, say, "si, si" less often (and ask more when I didn't understand). I saw a bit of "Emma" come out. It was really nice.

So much of this experience is going to be about 1) being okay not always knowing what's happening 2) feeling really okay trying again and again 3) learning to say what I want to and ask them if they understand me, and then if not, I can try again 4)taking more deep breaths 5) and not getting frustrated with myself for getting frustrated.

No comments: